The automated “Wetchem System characteristics can be described briefly as «untreated sample in, validated result out», as well as the possibility of carrying out several analysis methods.
Customer Application Report: Automated WetChem System
Multi-species determination for fertilizer
In close cooperation with Metrohm the Belgian Nucomat has developed an automated Wetchem system for the analysis of fertilizer samples.
The system allows multi-species determination (about 10 different species) and also carries out the complete sample preparation procedure, which is particularly worth mentioning.
Sample preparation for wet-chemistry instrumental analysis methods still remains tedious and labor-intensive even in modern laboratories if it has to be carried out manually.
Outstanding features of the system are, amongst others:
- Sampling and sample preparation of liquid and solid samples
- Several reagent addition possibilities
- Classical «hotplate» digestion
- Making up the sample to a given volume by weighing (making to mass)
- Checking the instrument calibration by control measurements
- Integrated quality control
- Automatic system restart after power failure
- Ion chromatography and titration as analysis methods
- Sample preparation for ICP-AES spectroscopy
- LIMS compatibility
The Wetchem system analyzes liquids, suspensions, solid fertilizer granules or already ground powder samples.
In addition to the Metrohm ion chromatographs, a titrator is also incorporated in the Wetchem system. In this way, the system described above can be used to determine the following species and parameters:
K2O, P2O5, total nitrogen content, nitrogen as ammonium (NH4+), nitrogen as nitrate (NO3–), CaO, MgO, strontium, sulfate (SO42 –), chloride (all these substances by ion chromatography; Fig. 7 and 8); pH (using a pH electrode), free acid (titration with NaOH solution and a pH electrode) as well as B, Al, Fe, Cu, Zn, Cr, Ni, Cd, Mn (manual determination using an ICP-AES instrument).